On 8 June, Tumbulgum Community Association President, Jenny Kidd and Tumbulgum Celebrates 150 Years Project Manager, Robert Budd, were presented with a cheque for $3000 by Deputy Mayor Cr Gary Bagnall and Tweed Shire Council Manager, Troy Green.
The TCA’s successful application for the Community Sponsorship grant will enable the Tumbulgum community to install a permanent monument at Bluey Hill Park, North Tumbulgum, to honour our past and mark the site of the first settlement known as Tweed Junction, established in the vicinity in 1866.
150 Years ago in 1866, the first land selections were made along the Tweed River as a result of the Robertson Lands Acts of 1861, bringing about change in the laws governing land ownership. Although cedar getters had been working the area since the 1840s they were not permitted to own land. Heavily forested tracks, mountainous terrain and the dangerous Tweed bar crossing made access to the Tweed Valley extremely difficult by land and sea. The Robertson Lands Acts brought on a rush to select good farming land in the Valley. Rivers were the main means of transport. Tweed Junction, at the confluence of the Tweed and Rous (North Arm) Rivers, was ideally situated to become the main settlement in the Tweed at that time.
With the assistance of HY-TECH Tumbulgum Quarry, the TCA will install a large rock monument at Bluey Hill Park to commemorate 150 years. Present residents and friends, assisted by Matthew Bloor, Project Officer Waterways, Tweed Shire Council, and TCA member Jacqui Paine, are in the process of restoring Bluey Hill Park by removing invasive weeds and preparing the site for planting native species. By participating in Planet Ark’s National Tree Day in July, we are able to leave a lasting legacy for the future in Tumbulgum.