Junction Inn (Logan) 1870 – 1926
The Junction Inn was built by Alexander Logan circa 1869/1870, at Tweed Junction on the northern side of the Tweed River in the vicinity of Bluey Hill park. At this time Tweed Junction was the commercial centre of the newly formed community of the Tweed River.
Initially the Junction Inn was very popular situated on the main thoroughfare for people travelling between Murwillumbah and Tweed Heads. With the opening of a ferry service at Chinderah, traffic would now bypass the Junction Inn and this would have been the beginning for the decline from this hotel.
In 1883 William Collins, Eliza Logan’s nephew, became the licensee of the Junction Inn. During his time at the Junction in William built a free masons hall at the back of the inn and held a running race on new years day that was very popular with the people of the Tweed.
The Junction Inn remained in the Logan family although a number of licences including Harry North, John Phillips, Mr McLean and Mat Perkins.
The Junction Inn, North Tumbulgum, was burned to the ground September 1926. The fire was noticed at 8:30 pm, by a man leaving the punt after crossing from Tumbulgum. With Mr Edward (Bluey) Hill, the ferryman, and a man named Archie Lumley, who occupied a room in the Inn, and who was sitting on the river bank at the time, an investigation was made, nothing could be done to save the old structure.
Junction Hotel (Nixon) 1872 – 1882
Shortly after the Junction Inn was opened another hotel was built on the southern side of the Tweed River, the Junction Hotel. This hotel was built by FD Nixon c 1872.
The Junction Hotel was relatively short lived, only trading for 10 years before having its licence canceled owing to the house not being in conformity to the act.
Royal Hotel (Stone) 1886 – 1911
The Royal Hotel was built by William Stone in 1886, The hotel was situated where the current general store is, at the corner of Riverside Drive and Fawcett Street,
The Hotel ceased operating after the loosing its license as part of an initiated of the state government to reduce the number of hotel licenses in the electorate of Rous.
Metropolitan Hotel (Smith & Brett) 1887
Patrick Smith was the son of a Cedar Cutter, Paddy Smith, and the first white child born on the Tweed River. Patrick and Mr W H Brett formed a partnership and built the Metropolitan Hotel in 1887.
This hotel is still operating today as the Tumbulgum Tavern and is the oldest surviving hotel in the Tweed.