Are you prepared for the next Flood event in Tumbulgum and our surrounds.
The image below shows the extent of water coverage during the 2013 flood event.
Jack and Chris of the Murwillumbah SES, with local Tumbulgum SES coordinators also present, provided an informative and thought provoking presentation on flood preparations, and appropriate actions to take during a flood event, at our February 2017 General Meeting.
The Q and A session that followed was lively and covered practical issues.
- Parking is available at the Nth Tumbulgum SDA Church during flood events. Households with more than one car are encouraged to use this parking as limited high roadside parking is available.
- Water covers Dulguigan Rd between the bridge and the church when the river reaches 1.3m.
- Residents should stock up when floods are predicted – refer BOM website or ABC Local Radio.
- Our river height is influenced by rainfall in the three (3) main catchments of the Tweed Valley
- Look out for and share information with neighbours. Organise a street cohort.
- If necessary, organize for someone to set an alarm to check river heights overnight.
The material provided by the SES during the presentation provides a guide on Flood Awareness and Preparedness and recommended actions at times of flooding for Tumbulgum residents and is available here.
For a tutorial on how to use the BOM site to view current weather and forecasts and assess the impact of rain events and river levels, click here.
The standard SES “Flood Pack” information satchel was also handed out to attendees, and is available from the SES for any resident on request.
The material included in this satchel has been scanned and can be viewed here.
SES Conacts: State Emergency Services – Tweed/Richmond